What is dermatitis?
Dermatitis is a type of skin irritation which appears in the form of a rash which can be red, itchy, dry or scaly.
If located around the mouth and nose, this is called perioral (periorificial) dermatitis. This is sometimes mistaken for acne as inflamed small bumps can appear, called papules.
There can be many causes of dermatitis, usually caused by disruption of the skin barrier, including:
- long term use of topical steroid creams
- Overuse of active skincare ingredients
- Overuse of retinoids or high strength retinoids
- Heavy moisturisers or sunscreens
- Fluorinated toothpaste
There are a few things our doctors recommend for you to help reduce your risk of dermatitis including:
- Use the ‘Sandwich Technique’ - Apply a moisturiser 10 minutes before and 10 minutes after applying the Software formula
- Introduce your formula to your skin slowly & listen to your skin - We recommend starting with a thin layer, every 3-4 days. If your skin is irritated then drop back to every 7 days to give your skin a break, before slowly increasing again.
- Trial “short-contact” therapy - Apply the Software treatment at night, and use a gentle cleanser to wash it off after 30-60 minutes. This allows your skin to adjust to the treatment & helps reduce the incidence of redness, irritation, stinging and tingling.
- Avoid applying your treatment to the areas around nose, eyes and mouth- We recommend placing a nourishing cream (such as our Ceramide Repair Balm) on those areas before your treatment
- Avoid applying a thick cream or ointment frequently - Occlusive products such as Vaseline can precipitate symptoms of perioral dermatitis
- Avoid active ingredients when first starting treatment
- Consider non-fluoride toothpaste options
If you are concerned about your symptoms, and think it may be perioral dermatitis:
- Upload photos of the affected area to your Skin Tracker
- Please withhold your treatment - Trial a simple skincare routine, non-comedogenic moisturiser, gentle cleanser, and a nourishing cream such as our Software Ceramide Balm.
- Reach out to our medical support team - Our Medical Support Team is comprised of nurses and pharmacists who can provide you with medical assistance promptly and advice on what to do. You can do this by please submitting a request through the support button below.