Treatments with topical retinoids and some antibiotics used to treat acne can increase the skin’s sensitivity to sunlight. This means there is a higher risk of sunburn making it important to use your treatment at night to reduce this risk and follow a few simple steps to stay safe in the sun.
- Wear a broad spectrum sunscreen of SPF factor 30 or above daily Be mindful of sitting near the window in the sun indoors - you may need to apply even if you are not leaving the house/staying indoors
- Reapply sunscreen every 2 hours when you’re out in the sun (or more frequently if swimming/sweating/exercising)
- Wear a hat and sunglasses to shade your face from the sun
- Avoid long periods in direct sunlight
- Seek shade during the hottest hours of the day if possible
Sun protection is the most important step in your skincare routine, regardless of what treatment you are using. As well as protecting your skin from sun damage, it also helps minimise hyperpigmentation and reduces signs of skin ageing!